PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, June 6, 2011

Messy Moments

And a mess is still a moment I can seize until I know that all will be well.
~Gabe Dixon Band

Joplin Tornado Responsephoto © 2011 The National Guard | more info (via: Wylio)

Like so many, I've spent much of the past month watching tweets and updates come in from friends who were in the path of the outbreak of tornadoes that we've seen. I know that a few nights I stayed up altogether too late waiting on word from friends around the country, making sure that they made it safely through the storms. I'm lucky because all of the reports that I have received were positive. No loss of life, no loss of property, all safe and sound. For some, the news was more grim.

The picture above really struck me when I was looking for an image for this post. At a first glance, all I could see was the devastation wrought by the tornadoes in Joplin. But on closer examination, I could see that there were National Guard members sifting through the debris, no doubt looking for survivors of the storm.

In the midst of hopelessness, rescue was there.

This picture rings true for my own life.

I look around and see the mess. The times I've lost my temper with my kids. The nagging tone I've used with my husband. The broken promises, the laziness, the regrets. Parts of the life I'm supposed to be living, lost in the wreckage of my poor choices.

And in the midst of that, it's easy to lose sight of hope.

The cuddles with my kids after I was too harsh with them. The grace shown by my husband when he doesn't point out the numerous ways that I've screwed up after I've pointed out the one way that he has. The love of a Savior who promises me that I can't escape it, no matter what I do wrong.

Our lives are full of messy moments. Places where we fail, or disappoint, or harm. We can focus on those things. Or we can choose to see the places where rescue is available.

+++++++++++

What messy moments do you tend to focus on? Where do you find rescue?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs