- Jolt awake at 3:27 AM with a brilliant idea. Realize that you forgot to buy that notebook you've been meaning to pick up for the past 8 months for moments like this. Determine that this idea is so good that there's no way you can forget what it is, so rather than getting out of bed to jot it down, go back to sleep, secure in the knowledge that it will be waiting for you in the morning.
- Oversleep because you forgot to set alarm. After getting everyone out the door, remember that you had an idea in the middle of the night. Realize that you can't remember it, and promise to buy a notebook to put by your bed for moments like that so you don't forget it the next time that happens.
- Sit at computer so you can get started writing.
- Realize that you forgot to make coffee. Scroll through your Twitter feed while the coffee brews, because you don't want to interrupt your writing to get coffee when the press is done. Hope to find an idea you can steal from one of the people that you follow.
- Get coffee. Read email and play mindless game on Facebook while you drink it because you need to be focused to write and coffee helps with that.
- Start writing. Get about 200 words in, decide that it's crap and delete the whole thing.
- More coffee.
- Check out blogs in the reader. Now on top of feeling uninspired, feel like a terrible writer compared to everyone else. Consider deleting blog.
- Wonder if it's too soon to write another post about how neurotic you are.
- Decide you don't care if it's too soon. Write an opening sentence.
- Watch YouTube video of a kitten chasing a laser.
- Look at the clock and realize that it's now noon and the day is half over. Blurt out 300 words (most of which are eerily similar to what you deleted earlier). Hit submit.
- Try to decide if noon means that it's okay to switch from coffee to wine. (This step? Is why you still don't have that notebook by your bed for the 3:27 AM ideas.)
This is a part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival hosted by Peter Pollock. You can read more submissions and add your own here.