PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, November 17, 2011

BlogHer Book Club Review: Sea Change by Jeremy Page

This month I had the opportunity to read Sea Changes by Jeremy Page for BlogHer.

The book opens very strongly with the tragic death of Guy's daughter. It then takes on a dual story-line. In the real world, we see how Guy's life falls apart. He and his wife divorce and he moves onto a boat where he sails on the North Shore.

The way that he deals with his depression is by writing an alternate world where his life continues as it was supposed to with his daughter surviving and his marriage flourishing. Every night he writes in his journal, escaping into a world where everything is good and safe.

As a blogger and someone who writes regularly, I wanted to like this book, but honestly, I just bogged down in it a lot. The prose that starts off thick just never. lets. up. It's beautiful, but after a while I just kind of glazed over. Between that and the difficulty of moving between the real world and the construct that Guy has created, it was just not a book that kept my attention.

For more discussions about this book, stop by the BlogHer Sea Change page. You can participate in the first discussion about the small moments here.

Disclosure: I received a copy of Sea Change by Jeremy Page for the purpose of review and I was compensated for my review, however all opinions are 100% my own.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs