PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Letter to Future Me

Flux Capacitorphoto © 2008 nate bolt | more info (via: Wylio)





Hi Alise! It's Alise! 

These letters are awkward because I totally know you and don't know you at all. I've done this before in junior high and high school and it's always interesting to me to see how I turn out when I rediscover the letter when the future is the present. Or however that works. Time travel is complicated. Especially without a Flux Capacitor. 

Anyway.

Right now in 2011 things are pretty good. I'm working right now to collect stories for the Not Alone project. I can't wait to hold that in my hands! That's pretty awesome. I hope future me (you? me?) is still writing. I don't know if blogging is still cool in the future (or if it's actually cool right now. Or has ever been cool.), but I hope that whatever the medium, you're still putting words together. You're not too bad at that (I know you're shaking your head now, but people tell me that I'm okay, so future me is no doubt better). (I also hope you figured out a way to use fewer parentheses. I use them an awful lot and they probably irritate the real writers who stop by here.)

I hope you're still willing to examine your beliefs. I've been pretty good about doing that up until this point, but I know that the older I get, the harder it is to make big changes, even if they're necessary. I hope that you haven't stopped thinking and re-examining ideas that you have in light of whatever information you get in the future. It's okay. I won't be angry.

I also hope that you're still seeking out new relationships. And with people who aren't just like you. My life is richer now for the people I've met in the past year or so, and I hope that you've continued to reach out to people who are from different walks of life. They have a lot to teach you. Don't miss out on that.

Continue to pursue love. I sometimes think I have a pretty good handle on this, but there's so much more to learn. You're not going to have it figured out either. Keep at it. Love people. Sometimes it hurts, but the rewards, well, they are definitely worth it.

Listen more. I love (!) to talk, not so much with the shutting up. People will listen, but they want to be heard too. Shut up occasionally. Not everything needs your commentary. 

Okay future me, that's about it from here. Hold your beliefs loosely. Meet people. Love more. Talk less. 

(Oh, and I hope powering through season four of LOST is worth it, sorry if it isn't. Watch the Afternoon Delight episode of Arrested Development again -- that will cheer you up because I'm pretty sure that's one of the best 22 minutes of television EVER.)

Be good to yourself and to others!

~Me (You? Whatevs.)

++++++++++++++++++++++

What would you say to future you?

++++++++++++++++++++++

This is part of the One Word at a Time blog carnival hosted by Peter Pollock. To read more submissions and to add your own, head over here!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs