PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Celebrate Women: I Know It When I See It

Rosie the Riveterphoto © 2009 mollypop | more info (via: Wylio)
I'm sitting here looking at today's topic for our Women's History Month blogathon and I'm absolutely drawing a blank (we won't talk about how I put off writing this post until this morning instead of working on it for the past few weeks, since I've known it was coming up!). I guess I never  really thought much about what it means to be a strong woman. I grew up surrounded by them, but never thought much about actually defining what it IS. For me it's always been kind of an "I know it when I see it" sort of thing.

So where does one see a strong woman? What does she look like to me?

She's the woman who cares for the elderly, not just because it's her job, but because she genuinely cares about making their life better.

She's the woman who stares down cancer and rather than becoming bitter, she chooses gentleness and compassion.

She's the woman who looks at her special needs child and sees, not his shortcomings, but his strengths.

She's the woman who sees a male dominated field and rather than complain, simply brings awareness to females in the same field.

She's the woman who raises her daughter alone, goes to school to become a minister and who marries again, not because she's supposed to, but because she wants to.

She's the woman who stays up late on the phone helping a friend even though she has to wake up in a couple of hours to go to work for her family.

She's the woman who embraces who she is, even when she's told that it's not okay to be who she is.

She's the woman who sees timidity and fear in her life, looks at those things and says, No, I choose honesty and courage instead.

Women of integrity. Women of boldness. Women of grace. Women of love.

This is where I see a strong woman.

+++++++++

Do you see yourself or a woman that you know in the above description? How would you define a strong woman?



Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs