PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Writing Opportunities at Civitas Press

As you may know, last October I published a book of essays about depression with Civitas Press called Not Alone. I also had a piece in the first Civitas community project, The Practice of Love. I'm thankful, both as a reader and a writer, for the good work that is going on over at Civitas.

I wanted to let you know about a few other projects that they have in the pipe right now.

My friend Tamara Lunardo is still accepting submissions for her book, What a Woman is Worth. This book is a collection of stories about the value of women in the Church and in society. Tamara is specifically looking for submissions from women of color (edit: Tamara said that she's really looking for women outside of the white, straight, middle-class American Christian upbringing). Based on the blog carnival that she hosted, I have no doubt that this is going to be a powerful book and I can't wait to read these stories.

Jeremy Myers, who contributed a story to Not Alone, is compiling a book of stories about involvement in the church called Finding Church. He is looking for submissions in four categories: 1) Leaving Church, 2) Returning to Church, 3) Reforming Church, and 4) Changing Church. I absolutely love this idea and I'm excited to see how these stories work together to give different perspectives about the Church. The submission deadline for this is April 30.

And finally, I am still accepting submissions for my project with Civitas, Not Afraid. In this, I'm looking for stories about overcoming fear and finding a sense of significance in the process. I've extended the submission date to March 16th. Most of us have had to face fear at some point and when we do, we overcome through love - loving ourselves, loving the other person, loving God. If you have a story about beating fear, please consider sharing it.

Getting to see your name in a publication can be an exciting thing and I'm thankful for the community projects at Civitas that give folks a chance to get a foot into the publishing world. I know that a lot of you are writers as well, so I encourage you to check out these opportunities!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs