PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 19, 2012

BlogHer Book Club Review: The Underside of Joy

This month the BlogHer Book Club is reviewing Sere Prince Halverson’s debut book, The Underside of Joy.

This story starts out beautifully with the description of the relationship between the newly married couple, Joe and Ella, and Joe’s children Annie and Zach. Halverson gives us a glimpse of a couple that is happy, but is working through learning how to communicate in a more honest way.

When Joe dies, Ella finds out some of the areas where she and Joe had not been fully honest with one another. In the midst of that, Joe’s first wife and the mother of Annie and Zach comes back into the picture, wanting to become more involved in their lives.

I really enjoyed this book. Halverson has woven a beautiful story here. Her characters are believable and likable. And as a woman who has suffered from post-partum depression, I appreciated the treatment that she gave of this issue. Her dialogue rings true, the relationships are complex, and the outcome is very satisfying. I would absolutely recommend checking out this book.

For more information and discussions about The Underside of Joy, head over to the BlogHer page.

Disclosure: I received a copy of The Underside of Joy by Sere Prince Halverson for the purpose of review and I was compensated for my review, however my opinions are 100% my own.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs