PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, September 8, 2011

BlogHer Book Club Review: Slow Love by Dominique Browning

I enjoy a well-written memoir and Dominique Browning's Slow Love is a lovely piece of writing. She paints a beautiful narrative and while I had to rush through reading this book far more quickly than I would have liked, I found her prose to be a delight.

I was torn on the actual content. On one hand, I absolutely love the idea behind the book. When forced to slow down because she lost her job, Dominique discovers that relationships require nurturing that can't be scheduled in the day planner. I am thoroughly in favor of this idea.

However, I was less excited about the seemingly unending writing about "Stroller" - a man with whom she is having an affair and who is clearly disinterested in her in any meaningful way. Obviously she realizes this because she is able to write so plainly about it, but it is really difficult for me to like someone who, for so long, allowed herself to be used in such an obvious manner and who seems to write about it almost wistfully. It was just hard for me to reconcile that with her over-reaching message of really immersing yourself in relationships.

We'll be having a month long discussion about this book over at BlogHer. If you have a chance to read the book, stop by and share your thoughts as well!

This was a sponsored review by BlogHer. The opinions expressed are 100% my own (like it could be any other way).

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs