PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Run For the Flies

'Gnats' photo (c) 2007, Thomas Claveirole - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
This is my sixth week of running the Couch to 5K program. Granted, I'm only in the fourth week of the actual program, but progress is being made. My beautiful running shoes actually have a little bit of dirt on them from running out in public, off of the track a few times. I've found at least three places around town where I can go if the track is closed. The air was thick with no-see-ums today, so I've even eaten my first bug while running. My friend Jen tells me that I'm just one run in the rain away from being a full-fledged real runner. She wrote:


I think that means she's buying me a satin robe after I run in the rain, but maybe I misunderstood.

Anyway, it's been quite an adventure. Most days it's been good. Some days have been not as good. Some days have been downright bad. When it's a good day, I just want to dance around the house doing fist pumps. On my worst day, I came home and sobbed on my bed for about 20 minutes. I don't think you get satin robes on those days. 

What has been most surprising to me in these past six weeks is just how much support I've received from friends and family with this whole running thing. Three times a week I send out a tweet and a Facebook status update with my running info and three times a week, people faithfully comment on and like those tweets and updates. I keep thinking to myself, "Today is the day when no one will care," but in six weeks, I have not had a single time when someone hasn't added a bit of encouragement. 

One of my all-time favorite passages of Scripture is:
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9, NIV)
A lot of mornings I think this to myself when I'm getting ready to go out. I don't know if running is exactly the "doing good" that Paul was talking about, but I think that the principle is still sound. But as I've been doing this and continue to get props every day, I've been thinking that it also applies to the amazing folks who have been encouraging me. I know that it can be tedious to see the same thing over and over and to keep supporting anyway. I tend to get easily bored with telling people that they're doing a good job. Once I've said it, I figure they already know it, so what good does it do to say it again? I'm so glad that others have a less selfish perspective!

Today my running harvest was a mouthful of flies. Your harvest was a blog post thanking you for your continued encouragement. Hopefully soon one of us will get a satin robe we can show off.

+++++++++

What is something you're doing that you're proud of? Let us have an opportunity to give you a metaphorical satin robe!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs