PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rest and Renewal

Sleepingphoto © 2009 Umberto Salvagnin | more info (via: Wylio)

Yesterday, I thought I was going to die.

No, not really. But I was sick. I don't get sick terribly often (it's usually a once a year thing), so when I do, it usually wipes me out pretty good. Yesterday was definitely that day.

I started feeling bad Sunday night during the Super Bowl. I thought it might be simply due to the Steelers' impending loss, but as the night went on, it was clear that I was just getting sick. I stayed up a bit too late, even though I knew I was sick, because I had to watch the end of the game, clean up a bit, throw in a little laundry that I got behind on because of a long rehearsal with Under Shelter, read a few minutes, and so on. 

Of course yesterday it hit even harder and by the afternoon, that's when the death-thoughts started swirling around. I managed to hold it together until I had fed the children supper, but a little after six, I took some Ibuprofen, cranked up the electric blanket and went to bed. Other than a brief moment of wakefulness at 10:30, I was OUT.

Today, I feel much better. Not 100% by any stretch, but significantly better.

I'm thankful for the prayers of my friends, but I'm also thankful for the rest that I had. I think a big part of me feeling better today is related to 12 hours of sleep.

Being sick is one of those moments when we know that we need to rest. It's easy to forget much of the time. We get doing things that are important. We work, we serve, we go about our days and we neglect taking time to rest. When we don't rest, we don't get renewed. And when we're not renewed, we end up trying to give out of an empty vessel. 

Jesus told us where we can find rest:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
We're all sick in some way. We all need rest. And we can find it in the giver of rest and renewal.

What are things that you do to find rest?

+++++++++++++++++++++

This is a part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival hosted by Peter Pollock. You can read the other submissions and submit your own post here.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs