PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, February 7, 2011

Guest Post: I’m not good enough to go to church

Katie contacted me a few weeks ago about guest posting here and I'm so glad she did! Her post today is right in line with what I've been talking about here and in line with my heart. Thanks so much for sharing Katie. If you'd like to guest post here, you can check out the guidelines and shoot me a message!

+++++++

I overheard someone say the other day “they are not good enough to come to church” this totally broke my heart.  I wonder if we as Christians have missed something. I feel we have done the world an injustice for ever making anyone think you have to have it "all together" before you come into the doors of a church. Church is a place where we can come as we are, broken and in need of direction. Jesus said he came for the sick, not the well.  Forgive us for EVER coming across better or more “holy.”

The Jesus I serve hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors. He told the people who wanted to stone a woman caught in adultery, “let you who have never sinned throw the first stone.” If Jesus were walking the earth today he would spend time with the homeless man on a park bench or whisper “I love you” to the woman who keeps trying to find love in all the wrong places. 

The Jesus I serve would laugh at how complicated we have made his message. He would simply say “follow me.” You don’t have to have a SINGLE ounce of holiness. In fact he’s kinda famous for transforming people.  None of his disciples were church leaders, they were just regular guys. The person who wrote most of the new testament was out persecuting Christians, until he was transformed. 

When we become Christians our life becomes totally new. You’re not just a “more shiny apple”, you have been transformed into an orange. Our guilt, shame, and filth becomes something he can use to do and accomplish so much more than our own weak sinful selves could do on our own. Forgive us for holding onto that past and judging others just to feel better about ourselves

The church is not a building it is the people. Mostly good hearted people, mostly people that want to live a life as an example of Christ, but we don’t always get it right. If the people of the church have failed you please don't assume the God will fail you too. People make mistakes but the good news is everyone was made perfect and unique by a God that doesn’t make mistakes.  He never sorted people into classes, or social groups. He never said anyone is better than anyone else. He loves people that no one else loves and he loves those that can't even love themselves.

I have experienced the amazing Love of a God that loved me even though I didn't deserve it.  Who am I to keep that love all to myself?



I am not a perfect parent, wife, homemaker or volunteer.  I am real, I am honest, and I get it wrong a lot.  I am here for the ride of life and thankful for every minute.  I love gardening, random home improvement projects of which I often mess up, and writing at Imperfect people.   






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs