PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I shovel well. I shovel very well.


I absolutely love the movie Mystery Men. If you haven't seen it, go watch it right away. It's just a great movie about a group of misfit superheroes who have, at best, dubious superpowers. What turns me on about this movie is that for the most part, they completely believe in themselves. They have told themselves that throwing forks or shoveling are superpowers and no one can convince them otherwise. 

I love the movie because even though there is a genuine superhero in the city, these guys don't let that stop them from doing their own thing. They recognize that they're not quite as talented as Captain Amazing, but they continue to go out, night after night, to fight crime. They don't let negative comparisons get in the way of them using their talents.

In my favorite line in the movie, The Shoveler (played by the always incredible William H. Macy) is arguing with his wife about his role as a hero. She is telling him that it's time to stop and he responds, "Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well." (And if you imagine that in Macy's voice, it will make you a million times happier, I promise.)

I adore that moment. He knows what he does well and he's not ashamed to say it.

So today I just want to ask you, what do you do well? Not what do you do well compared to someone else (I fall into this trap soooooo often!). Not what do you do okay. Not what you want to do better. Don't marginalize your talents, just own it.

Yes, we can do things better. No, we should not be complacent. But that's not for today. Today, I just want to know...

What do you do well?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs