PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 5, 2012

BlogHer Book Club Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

With a teen in my house, I'm always on the lookout for new young adult fiction, so I jumped on the opportunity to read Jessica Spotswood's book Born Wicked, the first in a new series about youn witches, thinking it might be something that my oldest might enjoy. And while she'll probably read it (being that she's a reader like her mom), I don't know that she'll enjoy it that much.

In the positive column, I liked how the main character Cate was protective of her sisters, Tess and Maura. The relationship between the girls, who lost their mother and had an absentee father while navigating learning to be witches and controlling powers, was interesting and endearing. I found that to be a definite plus.

But overall, the writing didn't grab me. I don't expect tremendously in-depth writing in a young adult novel, but I just felt like Spotswood "cheaped out" on some of the writing by couching it in the YA category. I'm not sure if I just wasn't interested in the story or if it was the style or what, but all together, it just didn't pull me in.

Also? If I could ask one thing of all young adult writers? Please, please, please stop with the love triangle thing. We get it already. It's just exhausting at this point.

I believe this is the first in a series of three, but honestly, aside from the obvious, "I'd like to know how this all turns out," feeling that happens any time I read a book that is part of a series, this one didn't leave me begging for book two. This received a lukewarm reception from me, but be sure to stop by the BlogHer page and see what others think!

Disclosure: I received a copy of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood for the purpose of review and was compensated for my review, however my opinions are 100% my own.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Eight Days Designs